What foods or meals do you instantly associate with happiness, comfort, or joy? Grandma’s chocolate chip cookies? Mom’s chicken and dumplings? Good old fashioned macaroni and cheese? These “comfort” foods are often meals from childhood, made by mom or grandma. When you eat them, you automatically get a case of the warm and fuzzies associated with nostalgic childhood memories. These comfort foods also often come with not-so-healthy ingredients, like cheese, butter, or sugar, and can later leave you feeling not-so-warm and fuzzy after your sugar crash. How about a comfort food that’s healthy, too? Next time you’re feeling a little down in the dumps, and need a mood booster, make yourself a Good Mood Muesli Muffin.
These muffins are not only heart-healthy and kind to the waistline, but they’re also packed with vitamins, minerals and nutrients that are all proven mood enhancers:
- The complex carbs from the oats and rye flakes are packed with serotonin and folic acid, which some scientists believe stabilize the mood
- The raisins pack a punch of vitamin C, which studies have shown its effect on mood elevation
- The pumpkin seeds and flax seeds in the Athlete’s Fuel muesli contain magnesium, selenium, omega 3 fatty acids, and B vitamins, which together, could fight stress, release endorphins, and lift the mood
- Cashews in the muesli mix brings Zinc to the table, which helps to fight stress
- Yogurt, while high in calcium and protein, also adds vitamins A&D, which research has suggested increase serotonin
It’s as if there’s one big serving of happy in each serving!
- 2 c. Muesli
- 1 c. Almond Flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. butter at room temperature
- 2 tbsp. milk
- ¼ c. raw honey
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a muffin tin by either spraying it with nonstick spray, or lining it with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together the muesli, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and the sea salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, vanilla extract, Greek yogurt, butter, milk, and raw honey. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and fold together until mixed together.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tin, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the muffins are a light golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffins comes out clean. Enjoy!