Muesli is a versatile cereal that can be eaten many ways. You can simply pour milk (cow, almond, soy, etc) like traditional breakfast cereal and eat it cold. It is also great mixed in yogurt, which makes a perfect whole grain, high protein snack on-the-go (great for quick breakfasts or at your office for lunch or snack). Muesli can be adapted to a wide variety of diets, for gluten-free, try our Morning Zen muesli. Anyway you prepare it is great with a variety of toppings like honey, spices, fruit and more. For something more advanced, here are some of our favorite recipes-
- Overnight Muesli
- Bircher Muesli – The Orignial Swiss Recipe
- Hot Muesli (Stovetop or Microwave)
- Muesli Parfait
- Jamie Oliver’s Perfect Winter Muesli
An overnight recipe by Jillian at Food, Folks, and Fun. Put it in the refrigerator at night then your breakfast is ready as soon as you wake up!
- 1 cup muesli
- 2/3 cups plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk (you can use cow, soy, almond, etc.)
- 2-3 Tablespoons honey (depending on your taste)
- Place all the ingredients in a medium bowl and mix until combined.
- Distribute the mixture among 4 ramekins or bowls. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- In the morning top with an additional sprinkle of chia seeds (optional) and enjoy!
Bircher Muesli – The Original Swiss Recipe
The original Swiss recipe with grated apple and juice by Jen at The Hippie Triathlete
- 2 cups Classic Swiss muesli
- 1 cup apple or orange juice
- ½ cup low-fat plain yogurt (not Greek)
- ½ an apple, grated
- Mix the muesli with the juice and the yogurt. Let sit overnight in the fridge or on the counter if you don’t want it really cold.
- In the morning, stir in more yogurt to achieve the desired consistency and add grated apple.
- Top with your favorite toppings (honey, maple syrup, fresh fruit) and enjoy!
In a small saucepan, mix 1/2 cup muesli with 1/2 cup water or milk. Cook over medium heat stirring frequently until boiling. Remove from heat and let cool 3-5min. Top with fresh fruit.
A very simple recipe by Mollie at Sprinkles of Life
- 3-4 medium strawberries
- handful of blueberries
- handful of raspberries
- 1/2 cup Super Muesli
- 3/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- Layer fruit, yogurt, and muesli in a mason jar, cup, daiquiri glass or any other type of container.
Jamie Oliver’s Perfect Winter Muesli
Want to make your own delicious muesli from scratch? Here’s a hearty overnight muesli recipe by Jamie Oliver.