Apple Cinnamon Protein Muffins
A protein packed recipe from Amanda at http://smallhomebigstart.blogspot.com/ “Lately I have been trying to increase my protein consumption and have been getting a little sick of egg white omlettes in the morning, so I decided to do some experimenting with baking using protein powder. Waking up to the delicious smell of freshly baked muffins in the morning was such a treat. If you don’t want to use protein powder in these muffins, you can substitute it with more oats and flour. Another addition I made was continuing my baking adventures with stevia. I’ve had some real trial-and-error recipes using this stuff and its taken a little while to get used to it, but I’m really starting to come around to liking stevia. The trick seems to be not to use just stevia, but to mix it with sugar or sugar sources into the recipes. You’ll use less sugar, but still have plenty of sweetness. In lieu of sugar in this recipe, I used apples and raisins. Very tasty!”
Recipe type: Muffins
- 2 cups Harvest Festival muesli
- ¾ cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ cup Protein Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 1½ tsp Stevia
- ¾ cup Milk
- ¼ cup Oil
- 2 Egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a medium bowl, mix muesli, flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and stevia with a fork until well blended.
- In a large bowl, mix together milk, oil, egg.
- Gradually fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix until just blended.
- Spoon into greased or lined muffin tins. Bake 15-20 minutes or until set.
- Serve with a nice cup of tea.
- Makes 12 muffins.